Thursday, July 11, 2013

Friends and Colleagues

I wanted to share a very strange experience, 
which I faced in in England with the East 15 students. 
The day of the Grand rehearsal.... 


 LETTER FROM A TEACHER TO HIS STUDENTS: AN OPEN LETTER

I had to start my grand rehearsal at 2 pm and wind up at 5 pm.... There was another programme in the evening, the students had to attend. But I could not start the rehearsal in time due to some technical problem... It started at 2.30. 

While the last scene was going on, I heard a loud voice from the lighting booth.... very loud;
"Its 5 pm. Stop the run through... We have to go". 
I was shocked... 
The Grand rehearsal was stopped in the middle. I was at the peak of my furry. But did not express my anger. I conducted a quick meeting and told them;

"You all have insulted me.... Insulted theatre.... 
This  never happens in my country, in  Indian theatre..... 
We know one thing that The show must go on and curtain must rise. 
I will never come back to England again since you people have lost self respect." ..... 

I left my residence at Chalk-well.

After few hours... I got many phone calls and apology letters......

Out of many letters, one, that an Anglo-Indian girl has written to me and in response what I wrote them an open letter, I want to share that to all my students and friends over the world.... 

This very impulsive letter shows  STUDENT-TEACHER relationship. Please read it carefully.
(Only for the student community)

• Conversation started July 3

10:41pm
Charlotte Barnes
Hi Satya
I just wanted to let you know that we don't all share Ryan's opinion and feel that was all rather unpleasant earlier. I'm sad to hear you say you never want to come to the UK again. I know a lot of people also share my opinion and we are sad there has been a lot of negativity from both parties. I hope despite the bad times you may also take some good memories back with you to India.
Charlotte/ Warrior 4/ Anglo Indian Girl

7:56pm
Satyabrata Rout

(IN RESPONSE TO CHORLATTE'S LETTER)

Dear Charlott!
This unfortunate moment comes in theatre frequently. I am used to it. But this should not happen... See! I have given my blood and soul to theatre and I feel it’s my responsibility to groom the students and show them the right way. I have so many students over the world and believe me I love them more than my own kids. They also respect me as a father figure... There should be a bond of love and respect between a student and a teacher. Sometimes I shout, only because disrespect to the medium irritates me. Another important thing is our cultural diversity. East and West are different..... I can understand it but since I came here to teach you Indian theatre, it should be the responsibility of the students to adopt a new culture and find the possibilities in it. Now two months have passed... but the progress is not as significant as expected. If a grand run through is stopped without the prior knowledge of the director.... is it not disrespect for the medium? You just think over it. I have never demanded any respect for myself...rather my work brought me everything in the international perspective. I am not angry now. I was upset but now its ok.... It’s part of life... Don't worry... I will come to London thousand times if you feel my need ever... and if my training helps you to understand the discipline of theatre and with that a little understanding of life... my coming here and the training will get its meaning. I love u all.... You are like my children... I can scold, shout and will show you the right way. Don’t worry.... Tomorrow we will meet and shake hands and do our best to achieve the goal. I don’t need any apology... It must be realisation. If possible share this letter to everyone of both the group.

I love you all
Satyabrata Rout
Regards....
Satyabrata Rout

No comments: